Nigeria’s Defence Headquarters (DHQ), Abuja, has warned against any planned reprisals over the recent killings in Uromi, Edo State, vowing that security agencies will take action against those inciting violence.
Speaking in Abuja on Thursday, the Director of Defence Media Operations, Major General Markus Kangye, claimed that political leaders from Edo and Kano states had already “resolved” the crisis.
He said the Edo State government had reached out to the affected families in Kano to douse tensions.
“At the political level, everything has been settled. Anybody or group trying to cause panic or issue threats will be investigated and dealt with accordingly,” Kangye declared.
The military general also pushed back against widespread concerns that security forces relaxed their operations against violent herdsmen, terrorists, and bandits across the country.
“The military is still very much in the fight. We have neutralised many of them and will continue our onslaught against them and their leaders,” Kangye insisted.
On reports that the Niger Republic had pulled out of the Multinational Joint Task Force (MNJTF), Kangye dismissed the claims as unverified. He stressed that the MNJTF, created by the Lake Chad Basin Commission, remains crucial in tackling cross-border terrorism.
“If any country pulls out, it will weaken the synergy needed to combat terrorists across the region. Efforts must be sustained to maintain this cooperation,” he added.
The military’s assurances come amid growing fears of reprisal attacks following the Edo killings, with tensions still high despite political leaders’ interventions.
Recall that Operatives of the Department of State Security (DSS) also arrested two principal suspects involved in the killing of 16 Nigerians of northern extraction last week.
According to a statement by Fred Itua, the Chief Press Secretary to Governor Monday Okpebholo, the arrests were made by DSS operatives in Uromi based on credible intelligence.
“Operatives of the DSS have apprehended two principal suspects involved in the killing of 16 Nigerians in Uromi. The arrest was made following credible intelligence, and security forces are intensifying efforts to track down other individuals connected to the crime,” Itua stated.
However, the arrested suspects had been transferred to Abuja for further interrogation and prosecution by relevant authorities.
On the issue of compensation for the victims’ families, Itua clarified that discussions between the Edo and Kano State governments were still ongoing to determine the appropriate form of compensation.
“As you know, Governor Okpebholo has been in talks with the Kano State government and has visited the families of the 16 victims, where he assured them of compensation,” he said.
“However, I cannot confirm whether this will be financial or take another form, but efforts are being made to support the families.”
Following the arrests, panic has spread among residents in Uromi, with many reportedly fleeing their homes for fear of being apprehended by security forces.