Ghana

Utility companies pays GH¢ 552,972.69 compensation to Customers in G/A

Compensation totaling GH¢ 552,972.69 has been paid to customers of utility companies in the Greater Accra Region who reported issues of overbilling and other complaints within six months of this year.

The payments were made by the Ghana Water Company Limited (GWCL) and Electricity Company of Ghana (EGC) after the complaints were made to the Accra Regional Office of Public Utility Regulatory Commission (PURC).

The Greater Accra Regional Manager of the PURC, Mrs Gifty Bruce-Nelson, disclosed this to the Ghanaian Times in Accra yesterday said compensation was paid to customers who made a total 804complaints within the period.

That, she said represented a reduction as against 913 last year the same period as  a result of interventions including public awareness creation on the rights of consumers.

She said one of the mandates of the Commission was to receive complaints from the public, investigate and ensure amicable settlement and payment of compensation. 

The Regional Manager stated that out of the recorded complaints, 695 representing 86 per cent were lodged against ECG while the remaining  109 representing 14 per cent were against the GWCL.

Mrs Bruce-Nelson said most of the complaints from the consumers were over billing and that of the utilities were consumers not paying their debt.

She stated out of the 804 complaints they received 718 of the cases were resolved representing 91.7 per cent.

Mrs Bruce-Nelson said GH¢11,441,875.55 was paid by customers indebted to ECG.

The Regional Manager stated that consumers made their complaints through ‘walk-ins’, phone calls, field and written, adding that the regional office investigate such complaints and seek ways to resolve them.

She stated that as part of efforts to enhance its operations the GAR of the Commission had intensified its community monitoring on the utilities and also consumers activities.

“These commercial customers were monitored to establish service reliability of power and water supply as well as to note down any challenges with their utility providers,” she added.

Mrs Bruce-Nelson stated that the GAR Commission also ensured the replacement of fallen electricity poles in the region.

She assured the public of the Commission’s determination to ensure that the regulated utilities give quality services to the consumers.

The Regional Manager urged the public to contact the PURC with their complaints, conserve electricity and pay their bills promptly.

Mrs Bruce-Nelson urged the public to desist from engaging in illegal connection, stealing and tampering with the utilities of water and electricity lines.

BY ANITA NYARKO-YIRENKYI