Breaking

DHQ declares Nigerien wanted for terrorism, illegal mining, others

The Defence Headquarters (DHQ) Thursday declared a Nigerian Halilu Buzu wanted over alleged terrorism, gun running, cattle rustling and illegal mining in Zamfara.

The military high command accused Buzu being behind the killing of 19 villagers at Farar Kasa, in Zamfara.

Director Defence Media Operations Major General Edward Buba disclosed this while addressing journalists in Abuja.

He disclosed that Halilu is a major arms supplier and he his trusted by arms dealers for supply arms from Libya.

According to him, when troops close in on him, he moves across the border into Republic of Niger for refuge.

General Buba urged Nigerien authorities to apprehend him and hand him over to Nigeria.

He said: “Troops are in hunt of one, HALILU BUZU, a terrorist leader that hails from Buzu in Republic of Niger. He settled in Subbubu Forest and lives in Shinkafi LGA of Zamfara State.

“His camp and illegal gold mine are located at Kawayi in Anka LGA of Zamfara State, where he has a lot of boys working for him.

“Halilu is also a prominent cattle rustler and illegal gold miner. Last week, his boys killed 19 villagers at Farar Kasa. He is a High Value Target and therefore declared wanted. Meanwhile, he is one of several several others that we would be declaring wanted.

“Additionally, Halilu is a major arms supplier, trusted by arms dealers from supplying arms from Libya. When, troops close in on him, he moves across the border into Republic of Niger for refuge. At this time, we are through appropriate channels calling on the Nigerian authorities to apprehend and hold him accountable for his atrocities.”

He said terrorists leaders like Halilu are the target of troops and would soon be eliminated.

“These category of terrorist are relentlessly targeted by troops, such that we will be able to strike them out and take them off the battlefield as soon as possible.

“It clear that the fate of the terrorist perpetrating insecurity in our nation will be violent and short. Troops will stop at nothing to take them out of the battlefield,” he said.

Speaking on the successes recorded by troops deployed to different theatres of operations, he said troops neutralised 227 and arrested 529 persons.

He added that troops also arrested 11 perpetrators of oil theft and rescued 253 kidnapped hostages across the country.

According to him In the South South, troops denied the oil theft of the estimated sum of One Billion Three Hundred and Twelve Million Four Hundred and Seventy Seven Thousand Fifty Naira (N1,312,477,050.00) only.