Trending

Humanitarian affairs minister inspects Abuja housing projects for IDPs

The Minister of Humanitarian Affairs and Poverty Alleviation, Dr Betta Edu, inspected houses being built for internally displaced persons in the Idu area of the Federal Capital Territory on Tuesday.

Ms Edu said that the one- and two-bedroom houses would be built to accommodate IDPs in states as part of efforts to address multi-dimensional poverty in the country.

According to her, each house will be constructed for N3 million through direct labour involving the intended beneficiaries.

She said, ”The Tinubu administration is committed to providing shelter to accommodate at least five million displaced and vulnerable households in Nigeria. If you recall, the Federal Government just approved the humanitarian trust fund, which has 30 per cent donations from the government and the remaining 70 per cent from donor agencies and individuals.”

The minister said that work on a similar project for IDPs had commenced in Benue State.

”The groundbreaking of this project was done in Benue State, and as we speak, they have completed the clearing of about 10 hectares for the building of 40 houses,” Ms Edu said.

She said that the structures were easy to build, noting that it would speed up the provision of houses to IDPs in different parts of Nigeria, especially in Borno, Zamfara, Adamawa, Yobe and other areas.

(NAN)