The members of B5 are alleging they were not a part of the Bad Boy artists who recently received their publishing rights from the label’s founder, Diddy. As The Shade Room previously reported, the 54-year-old detailed his decision to “reassign” the rights to his former artists in September.
RELATED: Diddy Details ‘Right And Obvious’ Decision To ‘Reassign’ Publishing Rights To Bad Boy Artists And Writers
B5 Alleges They Did Not Receive “Reassigned” Publishing Rights From Diddy
The members of B5 appeared as guests on an episode of the ‘We In Miami Podcast’ released on Monday, November 13. During the conversation, the host mentioned, “Diddy was in the news for his decision to return publishing rights to Bad Boy artists.”
Then, the host asked if B5 “benefitted” from Diddy’s decision.
“That’s a discussion,” Dustin Breeding said before his brother Carnell Breeding chimed in. “We didn’t hear anything, we didn’t get no calls [or] nothing like that, from that.”
Dustin Breeding then spoke directly to the camera again.
“Puff — Diddy, yeah, we all want our publishing too.”
As the conversation continued, Breeding reflected on the group’s alleged experience working with Diddy. According to Apple Music, the group’s self-titled debut album was released under Bad Boy in 2005, while their final album, ‘Don’t Talk, Just Listen,’ was released under the label in 2007.
Speaking exclusively with YouKnowIGotSoul.com in 2013, the group stated they had “split” from Bad Boy. However, they did not disclose the year they left the label.
“We were so young at the time; we didn’t understand the business of it, but, you know, now looking back, it’s like, ‘Damn, why our names wasn’t on the credits?… Where the percentages at? Where the pub. [publishing] at?” Dustin Breeding explained.
The group ultimately shared that they do not regret parting ways with Bad Boy.
“We just couldn’t see eye to eye, so we decided to split,” Patrick Breeding explained.
Social Media Reacts
Social media users entered The Shade Room’s comment section to their reactions to the group’s allegations.
Instagram user @dafrican1 joked.
“Diddy said it’s gon B5 more years till y’all get it back ????????????????????”
While another user, @imitationbyjerell, explained.
“Their biggest hit(and I use that term loosely) was a remake. So the original writes have to get their royalties back first…then they have to spilt what’s left 5 ways and more…sorry fellas, ain’t no money.”
Instagram user @basquiatbebe seemingly disagreed with the stance above.
“Y’all love belittling black artists. One song or not. Them little boys made a song that will ALWAYS be sung at the top of lungs. Run them they one song coin tf”
While Instagram user @jessvcagabrvelle_ added.
“Im so happy their voices are being heard . They got done so dirty”
Diddy Previously Explained His Decision To Return Publishing Rights To Bad Boy Artists
As The Shade Room previously reported, Diddy detailed his decision to “reassign” publishing rights to Bad Boy artists in September. The music mogul spoke exclusively with Billboard and shared that he began the process in 2021.
“I decided to reassign publishing rights to the whole [Bad Boy] catalog in May or June 2021. The news is just now coming out because it took time to finalize everything…” Diddy told the outlet at the time.
As for why the mogul made the decision, Diddy explained that he “felt it was the right and obvious thing to do.”
“It was just the right and obvious thing to do; something I’m proud I did,” the 54-year-old explained. “As a businessman, there comes a time when you have to pick purpose over profit. I’m glad that I’ve seen both sides. As a businessman, I’ve evolved and was blessed to be in a position to give the publishing back.”