The organised labour leaders in Ondo have declared that joining the ongoing nationwide strike was not against the state government led by Governor Rotimi Akeredolu but to protest the attack on its national leader, Joe Ajaero.
The labour leaders said this on Tuesday after complying with the directive of its national leadership on the strike action.
In a joint statement to journalists in Akure, the Nigeria Labour Congress (NLC) and the Trade Union Congress (TUC) in Ondo State said they have joined the ongoing nationwide strike as directed by the national secretariats of the two bodies.
The NLC chairman, Victor Amoko and the TUC chairman, Clement Fatuase, asked workers to comply with the indefinite strike directive appropriately.
“The strike is basically on issues that affect the attack on the NLC president, Comrade Joe Ajaero and non-implementation of some agreement reached with the federal government aftermath of fuel subsidy removal.
“The Ondo organised labour insisted that the strike was not against the Ondo state government but to protest against impunity in the country.
“The leadership calls on all affiliate executives to ensure strict compliance with the directive of the national body until the matter is resolved,” the joint statement read.
On Monday, the leadership of the NLC and TUC declared a nationwide industrial action, asking their affiliates to withdraw their services.
The declaration followed the brutalisation of NLC national president, Mr Ajaero, last week in Owerri, Imo State capital, by armed police officers.
Peoples Gazette reports that the strike paralysed activities in the government ministries and parastatals on Tuesday as many of the state’s workers stayed away from work.
It was also observed that the gate and entrance to the offices were padlocked in total compliance with the strike.
Also, public students who resumed academic work in the early hours were sent home from the school entrance by guards who notified them of the strike.