Tom Hill death case is surely a heartbreaking one. The incident took place in 2015 when Tom died from carbon monoxide poisoning.
During a fatal accident inquiry at Forfar Sheriff Court, it was revealed that a carbon monoxide alert had been raised at a holiday cottage in Angus.
The alert went off just before 18-year-old student Tom Hill died from carbon monoxide poisoning.
Hill had collapsed and died 11 days after the holiday home operator was informed of a previous tenant becoming ill.
The farm company that operates the rental property has already been fined £120,000 for breaching health and safety regulations.
The fatal accident inquiry into the incident that occurred in 2015 is still ongoing. Keep reading to learn more about this horrific incident of death.
Also, Read: Abigail Rodriguez Arrested And Charged- Daughter Grace Accidentally Shoot Herself
Tom Hill Obituary: Death Of The 18-years-Old Boy
Thomas Hill, an 18-year-old student, tragically died from carbon monoxide poisoning while vacationing with his girlfriend at Glenmark Cottage in 2015.
The cottage near Edzell in Angus is owned by Burghill Farms, trading as Dalhousie Estates, a company owned by the Earl of Dalhousie and his heir, Lord Ramsay.
Piers Le Cheminant, 76, had been renting out the cottage since March 2008 and sublet it to holidaymakers seeking a peaceful break in the Scottish countryside.
As a result of failing to maintain adequate health and safety standards, Burghill Farms and Mr. Le Cheminant were recently fined £120,000 and £2,000, respectively.
On October 28, 2015, Thomas’s girlfriend, Charlotte Beard, discovered him behind a bathroom door and tried to perform CPR, but unfortunately, he could not be saved.
According to the inquiry, a previous guest at the cottage had reported feeling unwell during her stay, and the carbon monoxide alarm had been activated.
On October 17, 2015, Mr. Le Cheminant was informed about the alarm by regular visitor Nick Hancock, who had sent him an email mentioning the incident.
However, Mr. Le Cheminant claimed that he was not aware that Mr. Hancock’s wife had also experienced physical symptoms of illness during their stay.
Following the unexpected tragic death of the young boy, thousands of concern regarding the cottage and obituaries followed the news.
Also, Read: Maria Gamez Wikipedia And Edad: Civil Guard Director Resign After Husband Juan Carlos Martínez Arrested
Tom Hill Was Found Unconscious In Cottage Room
Hill was on vacation with his partner and her family at Glenmark Cottage, near Tarfside, when he was found unconscious.
Faulty gas heaters were discovered at the remote cottage, and an investigation found that cracks in a bathroom heater produced high levels of carbon monoxide.
The cottage is owned by the Earl of Dalhousie and his heir Lord Ramsay and a retired teacher named Piers Le Cheminant sub-let the cottage to others.
Piers was also fined £2,000 after it was revealed during the court hearing that visitors could have been killed by carbon monoxide over a period of nearly eight years.
During the inquiry, it was revealed that Mr. Le Cheminant was unaware that Mr. Murray did not possess the necessary qualifications to work on the heaters.
When asked by fiscal depute Gavin Callahan whether he would have asked the owner to check the heaters had he been aware of this fact, he responded in the negative.
He further stated that if he had known, Mr. Murray would not have been allowed to handle the heaters at all.
Mr. Murray contradicted Mr. Le Cheminant’s claim and stated that he was not responsible for checking the heaters before the start of each season.
The inquiry, presided over by Sheriff Reid, is expected to conclude later this month.
Also, Read: Tara Hastings Baby: Meteorologist Welcomed New Child With Her Husband Brent