BATON ROUGE, La. – The No. 45 LSU tennis team (8-6, SEC 0-5) fell 4-3 to No. 2 South Carolina (15-1, SEC 4-0) on Friday, March 17. LSU tennis complex.
In second place, Ronnie Hohmann and Nick Watson faced Nos. 22 Jake Beasley and James Story for the first time this season. The Tigers won the game 6-3.
In third place were Ben Koch and George Stoupe versus Raphael Lambling and Casey Hoole. The Gamecocks won the match 6-3.
For #1, Chen Dong and Welsh Hotard took on #1 Connor Thomson and Toby Samuel. South Carolina won the match 6-4 and took the double to secure a 1-0 lead.
Koch met Lucas de Silva in sixth place. The Gamecock won the match in straight sets, 6-1, 6-2. South Carolina’s score was extended to 2-0.
No. 55 Hohmann took on No. 6 Samuel for first place. Samuel won the match 7-5, 6-1 and extended South Carolina’s lead to 3-0.
Benjamin Ambrosio faced Beasley in 5th place. Set one went to Beasly 6-2, who won the second set 7-5. South Carolina’s lead increased to 4-0. The Gamecocks secured the match win and the rest of the courts played out.
On Court 4, Stoupe took up court against Casey Hoole #83. The Tigers won the first set 6-4 before Hoole came back to level the match 6-0 in the second set. Stoupe secured the win in set three with 7:5. LSU’s score rose to 4-1.
Hotard met No. 84 Raphael Lambling in #3. The Gamecock won the first set 7-5 before the Tiger won the match 6-3, 10-3. This marks Hotard’s third consecutive ranking victory. LSU’s score moved to 4-2.
At No. 2, Dong took on No. 5 Connor Thomson. Set one went 6-4 to Dong, but Thomson came back 6-2 in the second set to level. In the third set, Dong secured the win 7-5. The final score of the game was 4-3 South Carolina.
The Tigers will be back at the LSU Tennis Complex on Friday, March 24 for a 5:00 p.m. CT host to Georgia.
For updates and behind-the-scenes footage of the Tigers, follow the LSU men’s tennis team on Twitter and Instagram at @lsutennis and on Facebook at www.facebook.com/lsutennis.
#2 South Carolina 4, #45 LSU 3
competition in singles
- #6 Toby Samuel (SC) defeated. #55 Ronald Hohmann (LSU) 7-5, 6-1
- Chen Dong (LSU) def. #5 Connor Thomson (SC) 6-4, 2-6, 7-5
- Welsh Hotard (LSU) def. #84 Raphael Lammling (SC) 5-7, 6-3, 10-3
- George Stoupe (LSU) def. #83 Casey Hoole (SC) 6-4, 0-6, 7-5
- Jake Beasley (SC) defeated. Benjamin Ambrosio (LSU) 6-2, 7-5
- Lucas da Silva (SC) defeated. Ben Koch (LSU) 6-1, 6-2
competition in doubles
- #1 Connor Thomson/Toby Samuel (SC) defeated. Chen Dong/Welsh Hotard (LSU) 6-4
- Ronald Hohman/Nick Watson (LSU) def. #22 Jake Beasley/James Story (SC) 6-3
- Raphael Lambling/Casey Hoole (SC) defeated. Ben Koch/George Stoupe (LSU) 6-3
South Carolina 15-1; National Ranking #2
LSU 8-6; National Ranking #45
Order of finish: Doubles (2,3,1); Single (6,1,5,4,3,2)