Top News

Baton Rouge Police are seeking a man for questioning in the death of Georgia father who was found wrapped in a rug


Derrick Perkins (Baton Rouge Police Department)

BATON ROUGE, La. – Investigators in Baton Rouge want to speak to a man in connection with the death of 42-year-old Georgia father-of-five Nathan Millard, but say he is not considered a “person of interest” at his death.

Derrick Perkins, 45, was last seen driving a 2003 Toyota Camry, the Baton Rouge Police Department said on Friday.

Police say they want to speak to Perkins in connection with the death of Millard, a Covington resident.

(Baton Rouge Police Department)

Millard’s body was found behind a locked funeral home in Baton Rouge on Monday, wrapped in a carpet and plastic.

“No evidence of internal or external trauma noted. Final autopsy results pending, further studies including toxicology testing,” Baton Rouge Police Chief Murphy J. Paul, Jr. read Tuesday’s report.

Investigators did not disclose what they think the final autopsy results would reveal, but say there is no evidence of foul play at this time.

Whoever rolled Millard’s body in the carpet can be charged with hiding a body and failing to notify authorities, police say.

Police say Perkins is also wanted on probation violations, criminal damage to property, access device fraud on three counts and unauthorized use of a motor vehicle.

Timeline unfolding in Nathan Millard’s disappearance

Investigators were able to piece together parts of Nathan Millard’s evening in Baton Rouge on February 22 from surveillance video and witnesses.

Investigators say Millard left Happy’s Irish Pub on 3rd Street near Convention Street downtown around 10:30 p.m. that evening after the bartender cut him off. The pub is located just 500 feet from where he is staying downtown.

He then walked around and finally found his way to the other side of Interstate 110 about an hour later and less than a mile away.

Police say Millard encountered a security guard at the Greyhound bus station along Florida Street. Investigators said the guard thought Millard looked out of place and offered to help him. The security guard would ask if he needed a cab, Uber, or some other transportation service. Millard would decline and continue on his way.

Investigators say Millard did not appear to be in any distress at any point during the evening and was at the locations under his own steam.

Video obtained by WBRZ shows Millard, shortly after his interaction with the security guard, walking back to I-110 along Florida Street just a few blocks from the bus stop. He wasn’t alone.

Millard, seen in a black shirt, walked alongside another person wearing a light-colored shirt. This person seems to be stumbling a bit while Millard seems to be walking just fine.

Millard was last seen around 4:30 a.m. on February 23, but police would not say where. Investigators want the person who was with him to come forward and confirm this place with them. Investigators would not say if they believe Perkins is that person.

Millard was reported missing the next day after missing a morning appointment. A check of his hotel room found all of his belongings. His cell phone would be found blocks away. A friend of Millard’s says his credit card was used at least twice. His American Express card was found, but not his ID.

His body was found less than two miles north of the Greyhound station 11 days later.

A friend says Millard was in Baton Rouge on business. He had a meeting on February 22 and went to an LSU game.

Investigators are asking people who may have information about the case to contact the switchboard Baton Rouge Police Department or Crime stopper of the capital region at 225-344-STOP (7867).