This “Dad Rocks” paperweight is a great last-minute Father’s Day gift that your kids can make today! It’s easy to create, requires few materials, and there’s a good chance you already have everything you need.
What you need
- 1/4 cup salt
- 1/2 cup flour
- 1/4 cup water
- Cookie sheet
- 1/2 cup pea gravel or rocks
How to make it
- Preheat the oven to 180° Celsius.
- In a mixing bowl, assist your youngster in combining the flour, salt, and water. If the dough is too sticky, add a little flour at a time until it is doughy and flexible. If you add too much, the dough will dry out and crack.
- Help your child to roll a piece of dough into a ball with their hands. Place the ball on the cookie sheet and flatten slightly.
- Select pea gravel bits and help your child to spell out “DAD ROCKS”. Gently press them into the salt dough.
- Cook your paperweight for 2-2.5 hours, or until it is fully dry.
- Remove from the oven and cool before handling or removing from the cookie sheet.
- Optional: Spray or paint your masterpiece with an acrylic sealer or clear coat sealer.